“I Love Mom” Filter Helps Komen Double Facebook Followers in 8 Days

WE WANTED TO GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO MOMS – AND GAINED NEARLY 25 MILLION MORE SUPPORTERS THAN WE EXPECTED

Susan G. Komen® Breast Cancer Organization Doubles Facebook Followers in Eight Days with “I Love Mom” Filter

DALLAS, TX – May 12, 2016 – There are no two ways about it: just about everyone loves Mom, and millions of Facebook users didn’t mind letting the world know on Susan G. Komen’s Facebook page this month.

13173700_986466224771619_8859189191309697141_n

From May 1 through May 9, nearly 25 million Facebook users from California to Cambodia applied a special “I Love Mom” filter to their profile images, resulting in Komen’s Facebook page garnering over 1 million new followers and 14 million total page visits – a 31 thousand percent increase from their average number of visitors.

The Mother’s Day filter – the only one supported by Facebook for users of the platform – was made available for use by visiting the Susan G. Komen website or activating on Facebook via a “Try It” button that accompanied each Facebook post, along with a message that read: “Change your profile picture to show support for Susan G. Komen.” Upon clicking the button, users could easily select and replace their profile image to appear in that same window. Alongside the filter, the website also encouraged users to make a suggested donation of $10 to support Susan G. Komen’s mission to end breast cancer.

“We’re frankly astonished by the incredible response of users who rushed to apply the filter, as well as their excitement to share it with friends, family, and followers in support of Susan G. Komen,” said Senior Vice President of Marketing Carrie Walsh. “We know of too many moms and families who have been impacted by breast cancer, so we created the filter to invite Facebook users to share in our support for moms and showcase their appreciation. This turned into such a wonderful gift for all who are currently battling breast cancer.”

Every Mom Statistics

About Susan G. Komen® North Florida

Since 1995, the North Florida Affiliate has awarded more than $1.925 million to local hospitals and clinics to help provide mammograms, biopsies, educational materials, genetic testing and transportation assistance to underserved North Florida women — and men. Komen North Florida serves Baker, Clay, Duval, Nassau and St. Johns counties. All net proceeds fund the mission and 75 percent of net income stays in North Florida to help finance local programs, breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program. For more information, call 904­448­7446 or visit www.KomenNorthFlorida.org.